Every year, on the third Friday in September, Grenache Day is celebrated.
This is not just an occasion to offer you -10% on all our Grenache Reds*, but also to tell you a little bit more about one of Australia’s original grape varieties.
Did you know?
Over 90% of Grenache (also known as Garnacha) is grown in Europe. You might be familiar with Spanish Terra Alta or French Roussillon wines, classic old-world Grenache territory.
- If you’d like to find out more about European PGI and PDO wines, we recommend this informative article by SevenFifty.
Grown in dry conditions, it tends to ripen late and results in medium-bodied wine with generally low acidity. Grenache prefers dry and hot Mediterranean climate conditions, thus ideally suited for the Barossa Valley and McLaren Vale of South Australia. Combined, those two regions produce over a third of Australia’s total Grenache crush.
- Check out Wine Australia’s handy Grenache fact sheet for more stats and figures.
Grenache can be difficult as a single varietal and is often blended with Shiraz and Mataro (Mourvèdre) to reach its perfect balance. Referred to as GSM blends, they have become popular for their aging potential, versatility and complexity.
Our Portfolio:Turkey Flat’s Butchers Block Red is prime example of a Barossa Valley GSM:
- The 2016 vintage has a slightly warmer and spicier bouquet.
- The 2017 is a touch more gentle, with subtle oak and savoury tannins.
Alex Sherrah has swapped the Mataro for 17% of Nero d’Avola to produce a blend with his own twist. The 2018 Red et Al. is a solid blend, bursting with dark fruits. The Nero adds a great aromatic lift.
And as champions of Grenache, Turkey Flat have managed to produce an award-winning single-vineyard varietal from their old bush vines. A small parcel of precious fruit that is now around 100 years old.
- James Halliday scored the 2018 Turkey Flat Grenache 97 points and named it among his ‘Top 100 Wines of 2019’.
- It won a Gold Medal at the Barossa Wine Show 2019 and the Edinburgh Cellars 2019 Grenache Cup.
Happy Grenache Day everyone!
*Offer is valid from 15-20 September and while stocks last.