Hentley Farm ‘The Rogue’ Field Blend
WINERY OF THE YEAR 2015
“A modern food friendly style that presents a true patchwork of tradition and innovation. Complexity, texture and vibrancy are the key characteristics of this unique blend”
47% Grenache, 12% Malbec, 11% Mataro, 10% Shiraz, 9% Tempranillo, 7% Durif, 3% Nero d’Avola and 2% Zinfandel
Barossa Valley, South Australia
now – 2022
Sourced predominately from the Hentley farm estate and neighbouring north western Barossa vineyards.
On the nose satsuma plum, raspberry and blueberry aromas provide the light, cardamom seed and dried rosemary the shade. On the palate bright upfront acid and boot leather create a complex introduction, then red fruits and an attractive creamy texture take over. A soft, medium weighted wine with a level of complexity that you would expect from such a diverse range of varietals.
10% of the fruit was whole bunch fermented while the remaining 90% of the fruit was destemmed prior to fermentation, during which 2-3 pump overs a day were used to ensure that each wine achieved a full tannin structure. 30% of this wine was left on skins for 50 days before being basket pressed. The remainder went through a standard 7-10 day fermentation. All components were basket pressed to old French barrels where they underwent natural malolactic fermentation. The wines were racked off lees and returned to oak to mature separately for the first 3 months before being blended and returned to oak, a total maturation period of 9 months.
Reviews & Accolades
94 points – James Halliday, respected wine critic and vigneron
Read about Hentley Farm here