Driving 4 hours South East of Adelaide with, quite frankly, not the most exciting scenery en route better be worth it, we said to ourselves 6 months ago. Luckily, Ottelia had us convinced the moment we set foot into their cellar door in Coonawarra.
We met with John Innes, winemaker and owner of Ottelia, for what was one of the most delicious lunches during our trip, meticulously prepared by his son-in-law who runs the kitchen at Ottelia + Fodder. Paired with wines of outstanding quality and balance, such as the Riesling or Pinot Gris, we were sure that this range would perfectly complement our current portfolio.
When we created VINOZ, we made it our goal to educate people about South Australian wine regions and show them the incredible diversity this one State holds due to variations in altitude, temperature and soil. We started with the Barossa Valley, known to most wine enthusiasts for it’s unmistakable big and bold Reds, and the Adelaide Hills, separated from the Barossa only by less than an hours’ drive, but producing some the country’s best cool-climate wines. The Coonawarra Region was the next logical step for us to explore, as nowhere in Australia is more famous for Cabernet Sauvignon than what is produced on ‘terra rossa’ soil.
John and and his wife Melissa (who unfortunately couldn’t join us while we visited) moved to the iconic Coonawarra region thirty years ago intending to, in John’s words, “stay a little while”.
They bought a parcel of land ringed by tall Red Gum Eucalypts, and with natural wetlands dotted with Ottelia Ovalifolia, a native water lily. In 1993 they planted 2 Ha of Cabernet Sauvignon and over the next 3 years expanded the vineyard to 9 Ha.
All these years later John and Melissa are still there, producing a range of wines reflecting not only Coonawarra terroir but also the cooler areas of the Limestone Coast Wine Regions.
We are extremely happy that John has entrusted us to represent Ottelia here in Europe and are proud to have the following wines in our portfolio as of now:
2018 Ottelia Pinot Gris €17,90
– Aromas of fresh green apples and nashi pear with lemon zest and hints of herbal aniseed.
2018 Ottelia Sauvignon Blanc €18,95
– The attractive fruit elements from the aroma combine on the palate with a hint of aniseed.
2019 Ottelia Riesling €19,90
– Eloquent grapefruit, herbal and mineral qualities with tingling cool climate acidity and an engaging finish.
2017 Ottelia Sangiovese €22,95
– Violets, mulberries and red liquorice complemented by fresh fennel and a savoury peppery nasturtium leaf.
2017 Ottelia Pinot Noir €24,95
– Savoury notes of cassia alongside Cherry Ripe with soft powdery tannins and a textural finish.
– Rich, ripe mouth-filling cherry, berry and dark chocolate flavours with generous mid palate weight and good length.
Our next tasting on 14th November 2019 will be the official launch of Ottelia. If you’d like to be updated about our events, join our mailing list and you will receive invitations to private events.